Empowering support serviceDeafblind UK
Our empowering support service helps you to resolve any practical issues that you might have or to get back on your feet after a setback.
We can help you to access health and social care, apply for welfare and benefits, research and access local services, understand housing options, investigate leisure and transport options, connect with opportunities to make new friends or try new activities or to find help to fix a problem in the home.
This is free, one to one support and we will work with you for as long as you need us to. Some examples of things we are asked to help with are:
- My phone company keep cutting me off even though I’m sure I pay the bills on time. Can you help?
- My college says they can’t accept me because I wouldn’t be able to access the course content. Is there anything we can do?
- My dentist has closed down. Can you find me a new one that I can get to on the buses that stop by the library?
- Can you help me get hold of the social worker who helped me last April?
- I’ve been sent this form but I don’t know how to answer question 3. What should I put?
- I’ve broken my old magnifier. Will the council give me a new one?
- I can’t visit my husband’s grave anymore. Can you help me find a way to keep it looking nice?
- I want to move to live near my daughter. Can you help me find a trustworthy removals firm and help me arrange things?
- I’ve always wanted to go to Spain. Can you find out about any specialist holidays for visually impaired people and help me book one?