MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
This post holder will implement policies and operational plans to maintain a responsive and innovative examination service for students. The post holder will ensure standards of excellence in managing examination administration processes. As a line manager, the post holder is expected to maintain a positive environment for both staff and students. It is, therefore, expected that anyone employed in this role will carry out their duties in a mutually supportive manner at all times.
The post holder is responsible for maintaining and developing the College’s examination office using the College’s MIS for exam registrations and Electronic Data interchange (EDI) for entry and capture of results.
- To manage and lead all aspects of the Examinations Office.
- To engage in the production and implementation of the operational plan for the Examinations Service.
- To manage and lead a team within the Examinations Office.
- To encourage innovation within Examinations Services to meet the needs of the organisation.
- To identify training needs for staff within the Examinations Office including invigilators.
- To participate in the selection, induction and probation of staff, in line with relevant College policies and procedures.
Human Resource Management
- To ensure all staff within the relevant area of accountability are working efficiently and effectively and to take action if standards are not maintained.
- To ensure the implementation of effective and equitable procedures within the framework set by the College for the recruitment, selection, appointment, grading, appraisal, discipline and performance management of all staff within the Examinations Office.
- To effectively line manage members of staff within the Examinations Office and provide support to these employees in the discharge of their line management responsibilities. This includes the following:
- Appraisal and Performance Management
- Identification of staff development needs
- Setting priorities for staff
- Planning holiday leave and rotas to balance individual requests with the needs of the organisation
- Mentoring and advising staff
- Managing absence
- Dealing with matters of discipline and competence
- Supporting, directing and evaluating staff performance where and when necessary
- To ensure rules and regulations relating to the following statutory requirements are being fully observed and implemented both by the post holder and reporting staff:
- Employment law
- Health and Safety
- Equality and Diversity
- Disability Discrimination
Resource Management and Financial Accountability
- To assist in the monitoring of an operating budget for the Examinations Service within the guidelines of the financial regulations of the College.
- To monitor and review expenditure and take prompt corrective action to address any areas of weakness.
- To monitor the allocation and collection of income to minimise late fee charges.
- To control the use of resources in the Examinations Office including identification of staffing and revenue resource needs in order to meet objectives.
- To ensure the most effective deployment, utilisation and development of staff.
- To support the Examinations Manager to ensure the proper and effective operation of all financial, planning and other management controls whilst ensuring efficient utilisation of physical and financial resources that safeguards public funds within the Examinations offices.
- To ensure that the College’s financial regulations and procedures are understood and complied with at all times by reporting staff.
- To work with the senior managers to assess the necessity and effectiveness of support strategies and employ/divert resources as required.
- To ensure the effective management of risk through the implementation and monitoring of related policies and procedures.
Performance Management and Continuous Improvement
- To fully support the development of the Examinations Service as a responsive provider of high quality services.
- To drive continuous improvement and to promote a culture of innovation to support services.
- To ensure the Examinations Office meets and/or exceeds requirements for all internal and external quality assessments and inspections.
- To be accountable for performance targets and monitoring the achievement of targets by the examinations office against agreed performance targets.
- To be accountable for participative commitment to excellence in performance, management and participation in continuous improvement activities by all support staff.
- To be accountable for full implementation of the College programmes of staff appraisal and continuing professional development.
- To be accountable for staff utilisation, to address any under-utilisation or shortage of staff by contributing with HR to the creation of job descriptions and the selection and induction of staff.
- To be accountable for, participate in and manage the services contribution to the College business planning and budgeting processes and quality assurance processes.
- To manage the examinations office and to be accountable for ensuring all staff are trained and developed and College policies and procedure, appropriate external professional standards and Codes of Conduct are followed consistently.
- To motivate and communicate effectively with staff, delegate work to others where appropriate and consistently encourage others to contribute to improvements in working and learning environments.
- Where necessary, to challenge underperformance and support improvement through the application of College procedures.
- To be responsible for ensuring rules and regulations relating to statutory requirements are being fully observed and implemented as reasonably practicable and appropriate by all staff directly and indirectly under the post holder’s control.
- To be accountable for completion of all designated management tasks as required by college policies, e.g. Sickness Absence Management Policy, Disciplinary Policy.
External Links and Partnerships
- To develop and strengthen partnerships and alliances with appropriate Awarding Bodies.
- To provide information as required by Awarding Bodies in relation to cases of suspected malpractice.
- To work with partners to identify opportunities to enhance and develop working practices.
- To contribute to the achievement of the College’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- Participate in the Colleges performance appraisal system
- Participate in College developments, attend internal and external meetings and training programmes required
- To promote, implement and ensure compliance with all Awarding Bodies JCQ and College policies and procedures. In particular, to ensure equality of opportunity and the effective application of health and safety procedures for all staff and learners within Examination Office.
- To promote the use of EDI and other electronic tools for all entries and the communication of results in line with College policy.
- To maintain service level agreements to ensure examination service is best in class
- To deputise for Examinations Manager as required.
- Act, if directed, as Fire Marshall or Fire Warden.
- Carry out, if directed, the role of First Aider (subject to College policy & procedures).
If you have queries call HR on 02890265370 or email [email protected]
HR Department Castlereagh Campus
Castlereagh Campus, Montgomery Road
For more information on this post and to access an application form please visit Belfast Metropolitan College's website using our online recruitment portal