Childcare Assistant (primary focus on Pre-School, however flexibility across all age-groups is required)
Job Title: Childcare Assistant (primary focus on Pre-School, however flexibility across all age-groups is required)
Reports To: Childcare Manager
Salary: £15,600 p.a.
Location: Skainos Square, 239 Newtownards Road, Belfast BT4 1AF
Hours: 40 hours per week
Leave: 32 days including 12 statutory days
Pension: National Employment Savings Trust (NEST)
Health Care: An employee health care plan is available after successful completion of probationary period
Probation: This post is subject to a 6 month probationary period
Childcare Vouchers: A childcare voucher scheme is available
Bright Sparks offers a full day care service for 87 children up to the age of 12 years in day care, pre-school and afterschool’s settings. Bright Sparks provides an environment where children are happy, stimulated and kept safe and healthy. We aim to ensure children have plenty of opportunities to grow and develop to allow themto reach their full potential.
• To work as part of the childcare team within Bright Sparks Childcare Facility in providing a stimulating
and quality learning environment for children.
• This post will primarily focus on Pre-School, however flexibility across all rooms and age groups is
• To play a full and participative role in children’s mealtimes, breakfast, lunch and breaks.
• To ensure a good standard of hygiene at all times to include, nappy changing, cleaning of equipment and
• In consultation with the Childcare Team plan and implement a relevant play programme to meet individual
• To keep up to date records in line with Bright Sparks Childcare Policy and Procedures ensuring
confidentiality at all times.
• To participate in special seasonal or EBM projects i.e. trips, workshops, events etc.
• To liaise with parents regarding children’s progress on a regular basis.
• To participate in staff development and training as and when required.
• To attend regular staff and team meetings.
• Any other reasonable duties as may be required by the Childcare Manager or Head of Business Development.
• NVQ Level 3 in Childcare or equivalent
• A minimum of one years’ experience working in a paid capacity in a Daycare setting, in the last 5 years,
or 2 years unpaid experience within a Daycare setting
• Experience working in a Funded Preschool
• Experience of working with children with special educational needs
Knowledge and Skills
• Good communication skills both written and verbal
• Good observation and record keeping skills
• Good organisational skills
• Ability to liaise professionally with parents and professionals
• Ability to adapt to different groups / individual children / routines
• Ability to implement policies, procedures and play programmes
• Knowledge and understanding of child development
• Ability to work flexible hours
• Ability to cope with many different roles / responsibilities and to understand the importance of
• Ability to lift children and equipment when required
• Ability to work as part of a team
Personal Attributes / Disposition
• A commitment to the ethos of EBM
• A friendly, caring, helpful, flexible, open-minded and patient disposition
• Clean current driving licence and access to a vehicle for transporting children
This position gives the post holder access to children and young people and will therefore be required to
disclose details of any criminal convictions, including spent, bound-over orders and cautions in accordance with
the Access NI Vetting and Baring Scheme and our organisation’s Children Protection Policy and Procedure. An
AccessNI check will be carried out, and in applying for this position, you are in agreement for the organisation
to carry out this necessary check.
East Belfast Mission is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Skainos Square, 239 Newtownards Road,