sported. membership opens across N. Ireland
sported. the leading UK sport for development charity has opened for membership across Northern Ireland. •Groups interested in becoming members should be working with young people aged 11-25 and be using sport for development to deliver a stated outcome.
What is Sported?
- Sported is the UK’s leading sport for development charity, helping to transform the lives of disadvantaged young people between 11 – 25 years old. We support community and voluntary groups delivering sport development, helping them grow and run their organisations to the best of their ability. We are a free membership organisation, providing the business support and funding these groups need. This helps them to not only become sustainable, but also allows them to focus on what they do best – inspiring young people through sport.
When was it founded?
- Sported was found in 2008 by Sir Keith Mills, Chief Executive of the London 2012 Olympic bid team and now Deputy Chairman of the London Organising Committee of the Games (LOCOG)
Is Sported part of LOCOG?
- Sported was created to help forge a lasting legacy from the 2012 Olympics by empowering community groups to improve the lives of disadvantaged children through sport. It is Sir Keith Millis’s contribution to help deliver that legacy.
What areas of the UK does Sported cover?
- Sported is now live across the UK, following a successful England-only roll out. Membership is now open across Northern Ireland with our skilled volunteer programme being rolled out across Northern Ireland during this year, starting first in Belfast and Newry and Mourne. Sported Volunteers can support groups with a range of organisational development issues including: strategic planning; business planning; writing funding applications; finance and marketing.
How many Members does Sported have?
- We currently have over 711 members UK wide. As we have only just opened our services across Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, we expect this number to grow exponentially, especially in the run up to the London 2012 Olympics.
How many Volunteers currently work with Sported UK wide?
- We currently have a Volunteer team of 155 across England. As we have only just opened our services across Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, we expect this number to grow exponentially, especially in the run up to the London 2012 Olympics.
How can I become a Sported member?
- Groups interested in becoming members should be working with young people aged 11-25 and be using sport for development to deliver a stated outcome. These outcomes include:
- Developing the confidence, workplace and life skills in young people
- Reducing crime and anti-social behaviour
- Promoting inclusion
- Building strong communities and education in health and wellbeing.
How much does it cost to join Sported as a member?
- Membership of Sported is free, pending fulfilment of key criteria. For more information, visit www.sported.org.uk
What are the benefits of becoming a Sported member?
- Once accepted, Members can access a whole range of services that will assist them to develop their organisation. These exclusive services are:
- Being part of the Sported network – you will be part of a network of like-minded and inspirational organisations all working to achieve the same outcomes for young people. This will allow you to keep track of other projects going on in your area and share information with fellow Members.
- Member newsletters – you will receive both a monthly national newsletter and a quarterly regional newsletter with important and exciting updates about Sported and our services, as well as all our fantastic membership benefits.
- Online resources – you will gain access to a wide range of business focused “How to Guides” and templates, designed to help our Members in every aspect of their organisation.
- Insurance scheme – our bespoke partnership with Lockton Affinity ensures that our Members are able to save large sums of money on their insurance needs.
- Skilled volunteers – you will have the opportunity to be matched with a volunteer whose skills meet the needs of your organisation, whether this is through a one-to-one Mentor support for a sustained period of time or more ad hoc support because you need an answer to a specific question.
- Training and networking events – from time to time, Sported run training events to meet specific needs identified by our Members. We also work closely with partners to offer additional events and training.
- Provide information and advice on funding – there is a range of external funding available for Members to apply for. Local Area Managers and volunteer teams will help to signpost you to the most appropriate source of funding for your organisation.
- Grants - Sported run two grant schemes - Area Managers and our volunteer team will signpost you to the most appropriate grant scheme for your organisation.
We are also looking for volunteer mentors to work with local groups. Mentors will have experience in mentoring, facilitating or training and have specialist knowledge in a range of areas which may include: strategic planning, governance, marketing and publicity, funding applications and finance.
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a member or volunteering opportunities with sported then visit: www.sported.org.uk or contact Brenda Kelly, Northern Ireland Manager on [email protected] or 07917 086 209.