Prevent home heating oil theft this winter
Richard Williams, Head of Energy Policy at The Consumer Council, said: “Home heating oil tanks can be a target for thieves, especially if they are unsecure. If you are installing a new oil tank, ensure it is placed in the most secure location. If your oil tank is already positioned, there are a number of steps you can take to safeguard it this winter.”
- Lock your gates;
- Create obstacles or place gravel around the tank that will make noise;
- Use high plants to hide the tank;
- Use closed shackle padlocks, as they are difficult to open without the key;
- Install outdoor lighting; and,
- Install oil tank level alarms – these can be expensive, but so is oil theft!
The Consumer Council is also advising consumers to shop around for the best price of oil.
Richard added: “Our research shows over 60% of households in Northern Ireland do not shop around to get the best price for oil. We conduct a weekly oil price survey which is published on our website www.consumercouncil.org.uk. Consumers can use this information to see how much the average cost of oil is in their region.”