Global Youth Peace Summit - Invite to Schools & Youth Groups
An invite to schools and youth groups to participate in the Global Youth Peace Summit being held in Northern Ireland 6th - 10th March 2017
The Summit, which takes place from the 6th to the 10th March will feature inspiring artists and speakers from across the globe and will be hosted in Ards & North Down, Ballycastle, City of Derry & Belfast with an International Women’s Day concert on the 8th March. The Summit is the first of its kind Peace Summit to be hosted in Northern Ireland using the Arts as a tool for engagement, discussion and learning processes empowering young people as agents of change.
The theme of the Summit will be Youth, Peace, Security and the International Women’s Day theme #BeBoldForChange working towards forging a better working and more gender inclusive world.
Young women and young men have a critical role in promoting and maintaining international peace and security. Contrary to most popular representations, the majority of youth are not violent. Rather, they can and do – play active roles as agents of positive and constructive change. This is exactly what UN Security Council Resolution 2250 on Youth, Peace and Security recognises for the first time.
One year ago in December 2015 the United Nations Security Council adopted resolution 2250, the first ever thematic resolution on Youth, Peace and Security. This historic document is very important for all young peacebuilders worldwide because it brings recognition and legitimacy for youth’s efforts in building peace.
Beyond Skin are the all-Ireland representatives and members of UNOY, a network of youth peacebuilding organisations worldwide. Since 2012 UNOY members have been working intensively towards adoption of resolution 2250, now aiming to ensure actions are implemented
As part of the global #youth4peace campaign Beyond Skin are embedding Resolution 2250 into our overall strategy and work with children and young people. This includes the delivery of projects, lobbying, artistic interventions and outputs, advocacy and organising events.
Beyond Skin are identifying and recruiting young peace ambassadors to assist with the #Youth4Peace Campaign. A youth4peace steering group leading the campaign here in Northern Ireland has been established and #youth4peace workshops are available for schools, colleges and youth groups.
The outcomes and outputs of the summit will be gathered through creative processes to develop a Northern Ireland #youth4peace strategy and a post Summit report will be developed and presented to the Northern Ireland Executive.
International Registration is now open for those wishing to attend the Summit from outside UK and Ireland. Application form and information www.beyondskin.net/youth4peace.php
There is an open call to post primary schools, colleges and youth groups in Northern Ireland who are interested in participating in the Summit to contact the Beyond Skin office. Target age 15 - 25yrs
More information will be released shortly including details of special guest artists and International Women’s Day concert line-up.
www.beyondskin.net/youth4peace.php #youth4peace #GYPS2017 #BeBoldForChange
- Using music, arts & dance we will engage with young people 15 – 30yrs to gather impressions, thoughts, actions regarding UN Resolution 2250 Youth, Peace Security.
- This information will be presented in artistic and academic formats to assist develop a #Youth4Peace strategic and action plan for Northern Ireland.
- #Youth4Peace workshops will take place at schools and youth groups leading up to the Summit who will be represented at some of the week’s activities.
- Workshops/Activities facilitators will be both local and international to help give a global perspective.
- International Guest Facilitators will be invited by Beyond Skin in partnership with various funders.
- An invite will be extended to International Guests wishing to attend of their own accord paying their own way.
- All international guests will take part in the entire Summit including Strategic Development plans at Corrymeela.
- Corrymeela sessions will be for International Guests, #Youth4Peace Steering Group, Beyond Skin Management and Invited Youth People/Leaders.
- International Women’s Day Concert will be a ticketed paid event. International Guests will and Summit Sponsors will receive courtesy tickets.
- Over 1,000 children and young people over the course of the Summit along with international guests creative lead debate and conversation will harvest the findings and outcomes to develop a #youth4peace Strategic Plan for Northern Ireland
- Strategic Plan and findings will be presented to Children’s and Young Peoples Commissioner and NI Executive.
- The plan will complement the Children and Young People Strategy for Northern Ireland.