Singing for the Brain Volunteer - Belfast
Where, when and how often?
The role is flexible and the required commitment is dependent on the number of groups and volunteers involved. It may not be necessary to attend every time. However, a commitment to attending as frequently as possible during a block of Singing for the Brain® sessions is welcomed (each block lasts approximately 12 weeks and each session lasts approximately 2 hours). Local services may have slight variations.
How does the role make a difference?
Singing for the Brain® provides a structured group session for people with dementia who may wish to attend alone or with a carer. The service is designed around the principles of music therapy and singing. It offers the chance for social interaction in a safe and supportive environment. Your involvement aims to help people feel less isolated and to experience an enjoyable activity helping towards their feeling of wellbeing.
What will I be doing?
• Helping set out the room in an agreed layout
• Putting out signage
• Recording attendees
• Welcoming and talking with people with dementia and carers of people with dementia
• Supporting the group leader by issuing song books, starting off songs/ movements and encouraging participation
• Making and distributing beverages and other refreshments, collecting in and washing up
• Tidying up the room after the session
• Following service standards, service specifications, service boundaries and recognising the range of policies and procedures that impact on the activity being carried out.
Is this role for me?
The role may be suitable if you:
• Have experience of and an interest in music and movement
• Are committed to inclusion, treating people from all backgrounds with dignity
• Have a knowledge of, or a willingness to learn about, dementia and its impact on people
• Have good verbal communication skills • Are keen to provide a high standard of service
• Are prepared to undergo an induction into the role and attend necessary training and similar learning activities to help you in your role
• Recognise the importance of confidentiality and can show this in practice
• Are comfortable volunteering as part of a team of volunteers and staff
• Are comfortable following policies, procedures and guidance
• Are able to attend support meetings.
What do I have to do before I can start?
Volunteer registration form, meeting, two references, initial induction and learning.
How will I be supported during my volunteering?
You will be supported by a locally specified manager and the Singing for the Brain® Group Leader. You will also receive one-to-one and/or group based support depending on local circumstances. Agreed out-of-pocket expenses, such as travel, will be reimbursed.
Please contact [email protected] for a registration form
30 Skegoneill street