- Promote inclusion and facilitate partnership and feedback with parents, carers and other family members.
- Work as part of a team and contribute to its overall effectiveness.
- Ensure a strong team work ethos by maintaining effective communication among your room team and throughout the nursery.
- Ensure the maintenance of accurate and high quality records/reports, to assist with ensuring quality care, sharing of information with parents, and regulatory bodies as required and for Quality Assurance purposes.
- Attend all relevant meetings, internally and externally.
- Promote, develop and maintain good public relations.
- Report all accidents/incidents to your Room Supervisor, Deputy Manager or Manager.
Health & Safety
- Ensure the health and safety of the children, their parents, staff and any visitors.
- Ensure your room (equipment and the environment), including relevant outside areas, are clean, tidy, well maintained and meet the expected legal, regulatory requirements, including staff rota.
- Carry out extra cleaning duties in the absence of the cleaner.
- Ensure you adhere to Health and Safety at Work Regulations and BCM’s policies and procedures.
- Completion of Risk Assessments.
- Ensure effective incident, accident and hazard reporting and recording.
- Be fully conversant with the health and safety obligations of the post.
- Ensure the catering facilities and food meets the children’s individual dietary needs and complies with food safety regulations.
Development of Self and/or Others
- Responsible for implementing a stimulating and varied program of age appropriate activities which ensure the needs of each individual child are met and are in line with the Puddleducks approach.
- Undertake training and development relevant to the post and actively participate in supervision/feedback sessions and annual appraisals with your Line Manager.
- Take responsibility for own learning and actively participate in available learning opportunities.
- Complete relevant NVQ/QCF CCLD award.
- Promote and support the development of good practice regarding inclusion.
- Contribute to the learning of others by assisting with staff induction, taking an active role in team meetings and sharing ideas and knowledge.
- Develop a working knowledge of current and relevant legislation (e.g. Childcare, Health and Safety) and BCM’s policies and procedures.
- Facilitate the placement, development, support and supervision of students and volunteers when appropriate.
- Ensure the safety and supervision of the children in your care at all times.
- Maintain all standards and procedures which the manager has established.
- Ensure high standards of quality regarding a positive environment, resources for children, experiences and care offered to the children, which promotes their well-being, self-esteem and development including planning.
- Carry out regular observations and assessment of all areas of children’s development and keep up-to-date records which will be monitored to ensure feedback to parents regarding their child’s progress.
- Perform in line with your roles and responsibilities and display professional conduct.
- Ensure the Nursery consistently meets and exceeds the standards of the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust Registration and Inspection standards and other relevant standards.
- Set a visible professional example to staff, children, their families, the wider BCM and community.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Adhere to BCM’s policies and procedures e.g. Confidentiality, Data Protection, protection of Children and Vulnerable adults, Equal Opportunities, Harassment etc.
- Develop a sound knowledge base of all areas of responsibility.
- Prioritize workload and manage time to ensure tasks are completed in a timely manner and quality is not compromised.
- Ensure the economic and safe use of resources and equipment.
- Maintain registration with professional bodies where relevant, e.g. NISCC
Equality & Diversity
- Recognise the importance of children’s and adults rights and act in accordance with legislation, policies and procedures.
- Ensuring the nursery reflects values and respects the differing cultures and ethnic backgrounds of families and children using the nursery.
Promotion of BCM
- Work alongside and support where relevant and appropriate the work and role of volunteers in BCM.
- Promote a positive and professional image of BCM at all times.
- Participate fully in the work of BCM’s fundraising events, eg attendance at BCM’s Annual Street Collection on Christmas Eve.
- To work flexibly and be available to work at times appropriate to the needs of children and families and for the efficient use of staff resources.
- To carry out any other duties as specified by your Room Supervisor, Nursery Manager and/or Deputy Manager.
- Puddleducks will provide you with 1 polo shirt, 1 hoodie and 1 pair of trousers. It is your responsibility to maintain your uniform to a high standard and purchase replacements or extra uniform when necessary.
The above list is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
· Commitment to achieving Minimum QCF/NVQ Level 2 in Children’s Care Learning and Development (CCLD).
· If qualified to QCF/NVQ Level 2 in CCLD or equivalent, at least 1 year’s Early Years practice with children aged 0-5 years.
· If unqualified, at least 3 years Early Years practice with children aged 0-5 years.
· Evidence of working in partnership with parents delivering customer care.
· Evidence of delivering high quality care and education in a child-centred environment.
· Able to demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of current thinking in the Early Years field and child development.
· Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
· Able to use initiative.
· A good standard of written and spoken English.
· Confident, sensitive and effective interpersonal and communication skills with children, adults and outside agencies.
Professionalism & Availability
· Flexibility regarding working hours and overall responsibilities within the Nursery.
· Good work attendance history.
- QCF/NVQ Level 2 in CCLD or equivalent.
- QCF/NVQ Level 3 in CCLD or equivalent.
- Baby Unit 405.
- Paediatric First Aid.
- High/Scope Qualification.
- Experience of the High/Scope approach.
- Experience of working with children with additional needs care.
- Good IT skills.
5 Glengall Street
5 Glengall Street
Please note there are 2 positions available:
1x Permanent Full Time Nursery Assistant
1x Full Time Nursery Assistant Maternity Cover
BCM is an Equal Opportunities Employer