Living Well Moyle Volunteer
Age NI is the leading charity for older people in Northern Ireland. Our vision is a world where everyone can love later life and our mission is to help people enjoy a better later life. Our society is ageing. More than 350,000 older people live in Northern Ireland, and there are more people over the age of 50 than under the age of 19. In the next twenty years, the number of people over 50 will increase by more than 30%. We believe that people should be supported to love later life.
Living Well Moyle enables people in the local Moyle communities, especially those who are older or require support to remain independent, to live the lives they want.
As a Living Well Moyle Volunteer, here's what we would ask you to do:
- You will be matched with a local person and will liaise directly with them to arrange meetings/visits
- Assist with service user led activities. It could be a game of golf, a trip to the hairdressers, a coffee and bun out or even just meeting them in their home!
- Establish, maintain and develop relationships
- Provide support and assistance
- Aim to reduce loneliness and isolation
- Signpost to community supports
- Work with individuals to maintain their levels of mobility and independence
- Keep brief records of the work you have been doing
- Report back to the Living Well Moyle Coordinator.
Our volunteers should:
- Be very reliable, friendly and approachable
- Be able to build trusting and supportive relationships with our service users
- Have excellent communication and active listening skills
- Be empathetic and have a sensitive approach
- Have the ability to work independently, using your own initiative but knowing when to seek support
- Be very organised
- Have the ability to adhere to GDPR procedures/maintain confidentiality
The role is very flexible and can be tailored to suit you and your service user.
You could be meeting your service user in their home or out in the community depending on what you have planned for the visit!
Throughout your volunteering experience, you will be supported by Age NI with:
- A thorough induction and ongoing training
- A central point of contact (Living Well Moyle Coordinator)
- Quarterly monthly supervision sessions and ongoing support
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed
What's in volunteering for you:
- Fulfilment – you will feel good about making a positive, life changing difference to an older person
- Learn new skills
- Gain social interaction and a chance to develop friendships
- Gain knowledge on available services and activities
- Boost your CV and increase your employability
Due to sensitively and confidentiality, this role is only available for those aged 18 and over.
This role requires an informal interview (by telephone at the moment), an Enhanced Access NI disclosure (which is free of charge) along with two suitable references.
To apply for this volunteering opportunity, please complete the Volunteer Registration form and our Volunteer Manager will be in contact you within 2 working days.
Age NI Head Office
3 Lower Crescent
Age NI Living Well Moyle
c/o Dalriada Hospital