Care Worker Casual/Relief
Main Tasks of Job:
- To report to the Senior on duty, receive any necessary instructions and read reports on residents.
- Assist residents who need help with dressing, undressing, bathing and the toilet, maintaining standards of hygiene appropriate to the Care of the Elderly.
- To help residents with mobility problems and other physical disabilities and help in the use and care of aids and personal equipment.
- To care for residents temporarily sick and needing, for example, bed nursing.
- To carry out dining room duties, including the transportation of food to dining rooms, serving food and drinks to residents, setting tables and trays, washing-up, tidying and clearing the dining room and the preparation of breakfasts.
- To assist with domestic duties when required.
- To make beds and when necessary strip and change bed linen, sluicing, laundry, etc., and empty commodes.
- To help to create a relaxed, homely, attractive and personal living environment.
- To undertake the role of ‘Keyworker’ for a number of designated residents and to write up and regularly review their Care Plan where relevant.
- To help ensure that residents are given the opportunity to enhance their quality of life, that they retain their citizen rights and are encouraged in the taking of decisions in all matters which affect their lives.
- To help ensure that the need and wishes of all residents are ascertained, respected and met wherever possible, particularly bearing in mind ethnic, religious and cultural factors.
- To encourage continuity for residents in terms of maintaining links with their former life.
- To ensure that the needs of the residents for independence, privacy and dignity are respected and met.
- To ensure that the needs of the residents are paramount.
- To share in activities with the residents such as reading, writing, hobbies and recreation.
- To answer emergency calls, the door, the telephone and greet visitors.
- To provide written and oral information for resident review and to attend the review as required.
- To maintain written records as required by the Homes procedures.
- To undertake training as necessary to meet the requirements of the post and to attend staff meetings and residents meetings as requested.
- To carry out night duty where relevant.
- To observe Health and Safety Regulations and report any matters of concern to the Senior on duty.
- To adhere to all of BCM’s policies and procedures e.g. equal opportunities, harassment etc.
- To maintain confidentiality at all times.
- To work alongside and support where relevant and appropriate the work and role of volunteers in BCM.
- To promote a positive and professional image of BCM at all times.
- To participate fully in the work of BCM fundraising events when relevant.
- Any other duties that may be reasonably requested by the Senior on duty and which fall within the sphere of the post.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
Qualifications & Registrations
- You will be required to attain (if not already attained) registration with the Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC).
- Working with older people in a day care or residential or community setting.
- Have a professional approach to caring for older people, which will respect the rights, dignity, choice and privacy of residents.
Communication & Responsibility
- Good level of written and spoken English.
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Can use initiative as appropriate.
- Able to work in a team.
- Be flexible and prepared to work on a rota basis including weekend duties.
- Good attendance at work record.
- QCF Level 2 in Health & Social Care (or equivalent).
- QCF Level 3 in Health & Social Care (or equivalent).
5 Glengall Street
110 Kings Road
BCM is an Equal Opportunities Employer