SAVE THE DATE FOR THE BIG LUNCH 2019
Eden Project Communities
We’re inviting neighbours everywhere to join The Big Lunch on the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of June, when millions of people living locally come together to share food, have fun and get to know each other better.
The idea is simple. In June each year The Big Lunch encourages people UK wide to throw open their doors, take to their streets, gardens and neighbourhoods to meet people over a bite to eat, to chat, and make new friends. It’s a glorious moment of fun in the year that anyone, everywhere can share.
Since it started in 2009, The Big Lunch has seen great things happen when people get together. People feel better about where they live, feel less lonely, are happier and say they have the confidence to do more in their community.
Research in 2018 found that 4.5million people who went to a Big Lunch made new friends and a whopping 4.8 million said they believed The Big Lunch helped people feel less lonely. Over 5 million people who took part last year believe The Big Lunch creates stronger communities.
There are huge benefits to living in a community where people know one another, support one another and tackle local challenges together. If we can encourage more people to join The Big Lunch and events like it, we believe that everyone will feel the benefits.
The Big Lunch is an idea from the Eden Project made possible by the National Lottery, designed to inspire people to take a small step that can make a big difference. Support us and don’t let anyone miss out on a great opportunity to have fun and make new neighbourhood friends.
Save the Date for your Big Lunch on the weekend of 1st and 2nd June 2019.
- Children and families
- Community development
- Community relations
- Health and wellbeing
- Older people
- Rural development
- Volunteer development
- Young people
Date and Time
For more information contact Jack French on 0203 058 2428 or [email protected] OR
Sarah Boniface on 07976 633 674 or [email protected]
Notes to Editors:
About The Big Lunch
- The Big Lunch www.thebiglunch.com is an idea from the Eden Project made possible by the National Lottery.
- Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall is Patron of The Big Lunch.
- The Big Lunch brings people together. On average 6 million people meet to share food and fun at The Big Lunch every year.
- Over the past 10 years, half a million Big Lunch events of all sizes have happened in all kinds of community spaces – in streets, back gardens, parks and local community venues.
- It’s an initiative run by the Eden Project Communities team who connect people and communities across the UK, encouraging everyday people to make positive change where they live.
- The Eden Project started The Big Lunch in 2009 with the belief that we’re better equipped to tackle the challenges we face when we face them together.
- Bringing communities together, reducing loneliness and isolation and helping to make a difference locally is at the heart of the National Lottery’s mission.
- The Big Lunch enables UK communities to fundraise for the things that matter to them, with £8m raised in 2018 of which over £6m was donated to local causes.
- This year the annual event takes place on the weekend of 1st and 2nd of June.
- Free starter packs, tips and ideas can be found at call 0845 850 8181 to speak to our team.
- The Big Lunch can be found @edencommunities on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
About Big Lottery Fund
Big Lottery Fund uses money raised by National Lottery players to help communities achieve their ambitions. From small, local projects to UK-wide initiatives, our funding brings people together to make a difference to their health, wellbeing and environment. Since June 2004 we have awarded £8.5 billion to projects that improve the lives of millions of people.