Mental Health & Learning Disability (Frontline Staff and Middle Managers)
Association for Real Change NI
Cost: ARC Members £85.00 | Non-Members £105.00
The aim of this course is to raise awareness of staff who may experience supporting people with learning disabilities who experience mental health issues. The course will raise an awareness of mental illness, its effects on people with learning disabilities and provides a basic introduction to assessment and interventions.
Trainer: Louise Hughes
This course specifically relates to NICE guidelines on Mental Health problems in people with learning disabilities.
By the end of the course the learners will:
- explore what we mean by ‘mental health’ and ‘mental illness’
- recognise signs and symptoms of main mental health diagnosis.
- explore autism, dementia and mental health
- understand that people with learning disabilities are at increased risk of mental health problems
- understand that mental health problems may develop and present in different ways from people without learning disabilities, and the usual signs or symptoms may not be observable or reported
- understand that people with learning disabilities can develop mental health problems for the same reasons as people without learning disabilities
- explore the reasons why mental health problems are commonly overlooked in people with learning disabilities
- have an introduction to assessment and interventions.
Cost ARC Members £85.00 | Non-Members £105.00
Location ARC NI Offices
- Health and wellbeing