How To Communicate Sad, Difficult Or Break Bad News, Including Breavement
Association for Real Change NI
This can be any type of news, including illness, death, bereavement, changes in living situations, or anything else the person with learning disabilities may experience as “bad news” but the primary focus will be on death related bad-news.
The course content reflects NISCC Standards of Conduct and Practice for Social Care Workers Standard 2 ‘Be able to communicate effectively’.
By the end of the course learners will:
- explore how people with learning disabilities understand and communicate about illness
- explore the experiences and preferences of people with learning disabilities, families and professionals around breaking bad news
- identify the factors that affect breaking bad news to people with learning disabilities
- have an opportunity to listen to people with learning disabilities sharing their experiences of bad news
- have an opportunity to work on a specific breaking-bad-news scenario and also bring their own bad-news scenario for discussion and learning.
- Health and wellbeing