Special Educational Needs Advice Centre (SENAC) Voluntary position: Chair of SENAC's Board of Directors
Special Educational Needs Advice Centre
SENAC is a regional charity providing independent educational advice and advocacy for families of children with special educational needs and disability. SENAC works to promote the educational rights and opportunities of children and young people who face challenge to their learning and inclusion in school because of disability and additional needs.
SENAC provides a range of services developed in response to the needs of those seeking our support. Demand remains high and on average we support over 1000 families each year. We receive referrals from over 100 different organisations, agencies, and professionals.
Central to the Charity's success and sustainability, is a governance team with the necessary balance of skills and background required to ensure the Charity meets its requirements as a charity, a limited company, and an employer. We are seeking an exceptional candidate to be SENAC’s next Chair and to lead and support SENAC’s Board of Directors and staff team.
In appointing a new Chair, the Board of Directors wish to recruit someone who empathises and understands the nature and aims of the work of the Charity but crucially has the skills to effectively manage a charitable organisation and a limited company and confidently rise to the challenges of running a charity. SENAC’s Board ultimately have the legal and financial responsibility for all the activities of the Charity, maintaining an overview of policy and strategic direction and ensuring all legislative requirements are met. As Chair, the ability to lead on all such requirements must be demonstrated.
Summary of Key Tasks and Role:
- To provide leadership and direction to the SENAC Board and staff team facilitating the activities and development of the Charity in pursuing its vision, mission, and strategic direction.
- Support the Treasurer and Board of Directors to ensure the financial sustainability of the Charity and oversee the development and implementation of SENAC's Fundraising Strategy.
- To maintain a good understanding of the role and responsibilities of SENAC’s Board and encourage members to participate fully in its work.
- To take the chair at Board meetings and ensure the Board focuses on its key tasks and follow up actions and ensure the Board’s business is conducted in an orderly manner and consistent with SENAC’s Governing Document.
- Engage with SENAC Board members in assessing and improving performance.
- Ensure SENAC’s policies and practices remain current and adhere to all legislative requirements.
One of the following:
- Background/experience in a relevant area such as education, business, law, health, family support, charity, HR, management, voluntary and community sector or special educational needs/disability
- Previous experience as a Trustee, Management Committee member or Chair.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality
Desirable Criteria: Experience or knowledge of the statutory SEN system in Northern Ireland
For further information on this voluntary position please register your interest and email your CV providing contact details of a referee to [email protected]
- SENAC is a limited Company and all Board members are required to register as a voluntary Director with Companies House
- The successful candidate will be required to complete an Access NI Enhanced Disclosure Check.
- As Chair you will be required to undertake safeguarding training as part of your role.
- You may also be required to agree to your contact details being provided to Funders if requested.
Your experience could bring value to the Charity and advance the Charity’s ability to support children and parents in need.
Charity No: 101355
Closing DateMonday / 31 May 2021 6:00pm
Graham House, Knockbracken Healthcare Park, Saintfield Road
For further information on this position please register your interest and email your CV providing contact details of a referee to [email protected]
Visit SENAC's website www.senac.co.uk for more information on the Charity