Your posting is archived, and is not visible to visitors
Jobs are automatically archived on the closing date and you cannot move it back to published again.
Volunteer Walk Leader, Forth Meadow Community Greenway
- Role: In your community
- Location: Forth Meadow Community Greenway
- Time commitment: 30 hours free training March to December 2021
- Type: Volunteer role
- Closing date: Ongoing
- Reference: 2601202101
- Application form
Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Our volunteers are what make Sustrans special. They look after the National Cycle Network and support others to be more active.
They help people discover the joys of cycling by hosting led rides in their area. They teach children to ride a bike safely. And they run promotional stalls at local events.
Whatever the activity, Sustrans volunteers are making a real difference in their communities.
As a Sustrans volunteer, you’ll have access to resources and equipment to allow you to connect with people about sustainable travel.
A staff supervisor will also be available to help you develop your skills and abilities.
What does a walk leader volunteer do?
Your role as a walk leader will involve:
- Attending required training such as walk leader, mediation, first aid and safeguarding
- helping lead inclusive walks on and around the Forth Meadow Community Greenway
- highlighting the benefits of walking to people’s physical and mental wellbeing
- completing risk assessment templates before the walk
- recording volunteer activities and hours online.
What we're looking for
- No experience or special skills are required.
- It’s good if you’re familiar with the local area.
- Ability to complete necessary paperwork.
- Have a flexible approach to the requirements of various individuals and groups.
- Willing to help people in the north and west Belfast to get out and enjoy walking regularly on the greenway.
- To be enthusiastic about walking.
- To commit to 30 hours of free training between March and December 2021.
- Attend the required training provided in accordance with current Covid-19 government restrictions and NHS guidance.
- To offer led walks on and around Forth Meadow Community Greenway ideally 1 hour per week following the training.
Training and support offered
- welcome session: All things walking, 1.5 hours
- mediation training (certified), 16 hours
- walk leader training (certified), 8 hours
- safeguarding training, 1-2 hours
- first Aid training, 8 hours.
You'll also have direct contact with your Sustrans volunteer coordinator.
And when agreed in advance, travel expenses and the cost of lunch at any full-day training and volunteering sessions can be reimbursed.
In addition, Sustrans holds training and networking days open to all volunteers across Northern Ireland and the UK.
Sustrans works in partnership with Belfast City Council and Intercomm for the Forth Meadow Community greenway volunteer project.
We will share your contact details (name, email address, telephone number and address) to enable them to contact you in relation to volunteering on the greenway specifically.
For more information and to apply, visit the Sustrans website, email [email protected] or call Rachael on 07876 453 515.
To find out more about the project visit www.sustrans.org.uk/ForthMeadow
North and West Belfast