Volunteer Remote Telephone Befriender
- Calling an identified Deafblind UK member at a mutually convenient time, on a regular basis
- Establishing and building a befriending relationship
- Allowing the befriendee to discuss topics of their choice
- Engaging in conversations of mutual interest, providing encouragement and maintain the flow of conversation for the allotted time
- Giving advice and guidance to a level appropriate within a mutual friendship
- Providing regular updates of your volunteering activity to your named Deafblind UK contact and raising any concerns or queries
What times do I need to commit to?
We would like you to commit to a regular time, usually weekly.
Am I suitable?
We are looking for volunteers who are:
- Willing to share their own personal interests with member who have similar or the same interests
- Willing to engage in conversations with deafblind people to share interests
- Aged 18 or over
- Based in the UK
- Have access to the internet and a device to complete Deafblind UK online volunteer training. This will take approximately 2-3 hours.
- Are able to commit to the role for at least three months
How will I benefit?
By volunteering with us, you will:
- Get opportunities to meet like-minded people in your community
- Be part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Have satisfaction of knowing you will be making a difference to real people’s lives
- Improve your communications skills
- Gain positive employability skills to help you in your career path
What support will I get?
We ensure all volunteers who join our team are well equipped to undertake any tasks and will provide training and supervision throughout your journey with us. Any specific training will be outlined within your onboarding and induction stages and then discussed at your reviews with your named lead contact.
This role is purely voluntary, and this arrangement is not meant to be a legally binding one or an employment contract.