Volunteer Customer Service Assistant
About Charis Cancer Care
Charis Cancer Care is a highly regarded charity in NI, and we are here to support men and women, across NI, affected by cancer at every stage of their journey. We assist and support the families and supporters of those living with cancer or any family member bereaved by cancer through a range of holistic and complementary therapies. All of our services are provided free of charge to people affected by cancer.
We rely almost entirely on public donations to fund our work across NI, and by supporting us, as a volunteer, you will be contributing to our vitally important work.
Friends of Charis charity shop is located in Magherafelt and helps fund Charis and our vital services via donation of all profit from the shop annually. Charis Cancer Care simply wouldn’t be able to do what we do, without the ongoing and continued support from our Charity shop - Friends of Charis.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Friend of Charis.
About the role:
In your role as Volunteer Customer Service Assistant, you will assist customers, principally members of the public, to make purchases of clothes and miscellaneous items donated to the charity in a ‘High Street’ shop setting. This may include:
- Offering assistance to customers in the purchase of items
- Helping to maintain stock at point of sale and assist in stock control
- Operating the Till as required by the Shop Manager
- Helping to maintain a clean and tidy shop environment
- Sorting donated items for sale
- Reporting any issues/concerns to Friends of Charis staff
- To undergo appropriate training as required
We do not require volunteers to have paid experience in a similar role, but the following skills or attributes would be helpful in the role:
- Good communication skills
- Ability to deal with the general public
- Honesty and Integrity
- Commitment and Reliability
- Ability to perform all tasks as required by the Shop Manager
- Team working skills
- Good numeracy and literacy skills
- Previous experience in retailing/customer service
- Previous experience in the handling of money
This volunteer role will require a Basic Access NI check to be completed.
This role will be based at the Friends of Charis charity shop.
50 Rainey Street, Magherafelt, BT45 5AH
Shop Opening Hours:
The Friends of Charis charity shop is open Tuesday – Saturday from 10am to 5pm. We require volunteers at any time throughout our opening hours.
If you can volunteer everyday or once a week for a few hours we would be very glad to welcome you.
The number of days and hours will be agreed between the volunteer and Shop Manager.
Benefits of volunteering at Friends of Charis:
All volunteers will be matched to a “buddy” during their first experience of volunteering. Your buddy will support you with familiarisation of the building and venue; plans for the day, your role on the day and answer any questions you may have.
You will also be able to access any training that is required for your volunteering role.
As a volunteer you will have access to a number of benefits at Friends of Charis, which include:
- A valuable learning experience to add to your skillset, or to use existing skills.
- Free tea and coffee during your volunteering duty.
- As a volunteer you will be eligible to apply for any internally advertised vacancies which may arise, while you are an active volunteer
- Re-imbursement of standard parking charges during your volunteering duty (where applicable)
50 Rainey Street
163 LOUGH FEA ROAD
Interested in applying? Please complete and return the attached application form. Thank you.