How does this role make a difference?
Group services can inform, educate, support and provide structured activities with defined outcomes for attendees in a relaxed and safe group setting. You will provide support to the group leader to enable people affected by dementia to engage with and socialise with other group members or participants in a welcoming and non-judgemental environment.
What will I be doing?
- Helping set out the room in an agreed layout
- Putting out signage and recording attendees
- Preparing and distributing simple refreshments, collecting in and washing items used
- Welcoming and talking with people with dementia and carers of people with dementia
- Liaising with the group leader to support planned group activities
- Supporting the group leader by encouraging participation
- Supporting the collection of feedback from the groups
- Utilising any specific skills you may have, with local manager agreement in line with identified needs and following appropriate risk assessment and insurance assessment
- Tidying up the room after the session
- Following the service standards, specifications and boundaries, recognising the range of policies and procedures that impact on the activity being carried out.
Is this role for me?
No specific qualifications or experience are needed. The role may be suitable if you:
- Know about, or are willing to learn about, dementia and its impact on people
- Are committed to inclusion and treating people from all backgrounds with dignity
- Enjoy meeting new people, demonstrating empathy and compassion
- Have good verbal communication skills especially face-to-face
- Are keen to provide a high standard of service
- Can respect the need to volunteer within service boundaries
- Are comfortable following guidance and procedures
- Recognise the importance of confidentiality and can show this in practice
- Are comfortable volunteering as part of a team of volunteers and employees
- Are prepared to complete induction into the role and attend necessary training
- Are able to attend future support meetings
Interested in this role?
If you would like an application pack or have any questions please contact Rosario Mc Hugh, Volunteering Officer at [email protected] or call 028 71384570