Our Newtownards Shop is searching for new volunteers to join their team and raise even more to continue supporting families and individuals who need us. Playing your part in generating vital funds for the fight against homelessness is hugely motivating and rewarding. If you would like to be part of a dynamic team dedicated to ending homelessness, this is the opportunity for you.
How you will make an impact
You will provide invaluable support through the running of the shop and ensure that everyone who visits us, has a great experience. You will have the opportunity to be complete a range of tasks which may include:
- Offering excellent and efficient customer service.
- Creating stylish window displays to catch the eye of passers-by (perfect if you have a knack for design!)
- Preparing stock for sale including sorting, steaming and pricing.
- Operating the till, processing transactions and returns
- Stocktake and other administrative tasks as set by the shop supervisor.
We're with you every step of the way
You will receive excellent ongoing support from a supervisor, our Volunteer Coordinator and existing volunteers. Before beginning your volunteering, you will receive a full induction and any necessary training, ensuring you feel a valuable member of the team from the start.
In addition to this you will also have the opportunity to:
- Be part of a team dedicated to ending homelessness.
- Enhance your CV by using and developing your interpersonal and communication skills
- Receive out of pocket expenses as outlined in our Volunteer Expenses Policy.
The skills and personality we are looking for
- A friendly and personable manner including good communication skills.
- Able to work in a team but also able to think on your feet.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Previous customer service experience is desirable but not essential.
- Desire to raise awareness of homelessness and the services Simon Community NI provides.
- would also love to hear from volunteers who may have specific retail skills to offer including visual merchandising, marketing and promotions.
Minimum one shift per week (4 – 7 hours), more if you have time. Our shop is open Monday – Saturday, 9.30am – 4.30pm.
Shift times are variable and can be agreed with the Shop Supervisor.
We would also ask that you commit to the following:
- Demonstrate Simon Community NI values of being non-judgmental and client-led.
- Willingness to attend supervision and training to develop you further in your volunteer role.
- Operate within all relevant Simon Community NI policies and guidelines, including safeguarding, health and safety, equal opportunities and confidentiality.
Essential checks we will need to complete with you
When you apply to volunteer with us, we will need to process some routine pre-volunteering checks. You will also be asked to provide two satisfactory references. Please note that unfortunately we cannot accept references from family members, or partners.
Ready to apply?
You can apply for this role via the following link: https://simoncommunity.getgotjobs.co.uk/registerJob/62528ad0-0c15-4c79-92c3-b1a1ea919661.
If you experience any problems with your application, please get in touch with us via email or phone.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Rebekah Barr, Volunteer Coordinator
25 - 27 Franklin Street