Hearing Aid Maintenance Volunteer
To work with the Hearing Aid User Support Service (HAUSS) project to provide hearing aid maintenance and advice to NHS hearing aid users at planned support sessions and/or in their own homes, if required.
*Due to the current pandemic, any face to face volunteering activities will be carried out strictly in accordance with Government regulations and full PPE measures will be implemented.
- Offer practical support to the service user teaching them how to optimise their NHS hearing aid and provide information on RNID services.
- Change / clean hearing aid tubing, ear moulds and filters and replace batteries
- Reinforce instructions given at the time of fitting and issue of the hearing aid, including best listening conditions
- Advise about other support services for hard of hearing people i.e. Sensory support, RNID projects e.g. befriending, tinnitus support
- Complete relevant paperwork during Support Session and/or Home Visit
- Attend peer support meetings to share experience and keep updated with project changes and training updates
- Refer enquiries to RNID staff if you do not know the answer
- Keep all information given or discussed within the service confidential
- Promote the work of RNID
Essential skills needed:
- Ability to work with hearing aids (all training provided)
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Friendly, reliable and approachable manner
- Ability to approach visitors in a confident and caring manner
- Ability to listen to questions and to answer appropriately or signpost to RNID staff, as required
- Happy to work with a wide range of people
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus or hearing loss
- Hearing aid user or have a good understanding of the issues faced by people with a hearing loss