Employment and Training Services Operations Manager
Responsible for: The employment programmes Operations Manager will be responsible for the management, development and implementation of all Training and Employment Services programmes, offices, staff and its outreach provision on behalf of ACT.
- To have a primary role in the management, development and implementation of all Training and Employment Services. This will include staff (E&T), premises, programme evaluation, impact measurement, quality improvement, data management and reporting processes.
- To ensure the widest possible contact throughout North Belfast the appointed person will work in partnership with team managers, coordinators and partners to establish, implement and monitor report on and improve upon outreach provision.
- To work in partnership with the Head of the Employment & Training Services of ACT and other stakeholders to develop its services and employment strategy on behalf of ACT.
- To work in partnership with the Head of the Employment & Training Services, teams and partners to ensure the strategic and operational objectives of the department and of ACT are carried out in full.
- To manage appropriate people and teams, relevant budgets and resources to deliver a service of the highest quality.
- To work in partnership with management, programme partners and all project funders to establish monitoring and evaluation processes. And to report on and act on all monitoring and evaluation information.
- To ensure all guidelines and processes set out by all project funders are being strongly enforced and adhered to by all management and partners. In line with the quality assurance function the Operations Manager will report any improvements and findings.
- To promote, market and actively seek out additional resources for expansion of Employment & Training Services related activities and services.
- To work in partnership with the Head of the Employment & Training Services in tendering for existing or new contracts.
- To line manage all management and coordinators of the Employment & Training Services ensuring regular supervision and annual appraisals are completed and added to computer for review.
- To line manage all management and coordinators of the Employment & Training Services ensuring regular monitoring across all projects of performance, training, leave and sickness and reported monthly to head of department.
- In conjunction with the HOD of E&T and other relevant parties; to create a development plan for the delivery of all ACT employment and training programmes.
- To manage and report on the development plan on a quarterly basis.
- To manage and oversee the day to day operations of all Employment & Training Services programmes provided by ACT.
- To manage existing and new management and coordinating staff to ensure the smooth delivery of all projects of the Employment & Training Services of ACT.
- To contribute in any recruitment processes organised by the Employment & Training Services.
- To ensure appropriate training development programmes for staff, trainees and partners are sourced and fully implemented.
- Ensure that all Employment & Training outreach centres run effectively and efficiently on a daily basis.
- To liaise with all other bodies, agencies and professionals associated and to build upon existing links with all external bodies.
- To ensure the continuous update and review of quality assurance standards such as ETI, EFQM, ISO, IIP and Matrix and to ensure recommendations are implemented when possible.
- To ensure all processes, administrative systems and databases are continually updated and adhered to in line with ACT policies and procedures.
- Ensure consistent compliance with all policies and procedures, financial and audit regulations and external funders requirements.
- To ensure operations manager and projects teams are very familiar with all funders guidelines, spend and procurement processes and are fully adhered to.
- Ensure the upkeep of all equipment, furnishings and fittings relating to training & employment projects.
- Establish and maintain effective methods of communication and reporting to the Head of the Employment & Training Services of ACT.
- Establish and maintain effective methods of communication and reporting of any issues or information to HR and payroll teams of ACT.
- To work with project team managers and coordinators, the local community and all outreach centres to ensure the values and ethos of ACT is fulfilled and used to encourage greater community participation.
- Participate on all relevant boards including attending all meetings as requested by the Head of Department to ensure effective partnership working and to promote the work of ACT and the Employment & Training Services of ACT.
- To work in partnership with the Head of the Employment & Training Services to Plan for all events, open days and job fairs etc., in order to raise an awareness and profile of ACTS Employment & Training Services.
- Ensure all policies and procedures of ACT and the Employment & Training Services are communicated to all staff, implemented and adhered to.
- To work in partnership with the Head of the Employment & Training Services to expand its programmes to other areas and identify new innovative ways of promoting and delivering the Employment & Training programmes of ACT.
- To meet all monitoring and evaluation procedures set by ACT and to ensure that all activity is recorded and forwarded for analysis.
- To organise and hold regular meetings with all management and Coordinating staff to ensure effective team working, complete and update work plans and targets and objectives are being met and that all appraisals and staff supervisions are completed on time.
- To work in partnership with Head of the Employment & Training Services to monitor costs, targets, budgets, evaluation, and the effective delivery of all its programmes.
- The post holder will have the responsibility for safeguarding arrangements and practices.
- To perform such other relevant tasks deemed necessary by the Head of the Employment & Training Services to ensure the effective and efficient implementation of ACT’s operational and strategic plans.
Personal and Professional Development
- Participate in ACT’s Performance Management and Appraisal process, and agree short, medium and long term goals with line manager, and direct line staff.
- Identify learning and development needs with line manager and evaluate T&D to demonstrate needs have been met.
- Share best practice and achievements, and contribute at opportunities to present outcomes and case studies.
- Contribute to the learning of others across the organisation by sharing knowledge and skills both informally and formally by participating in the trust’s training and development programme.
Status of the Job Description
This job description is not incorporated into the employee’s employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification and it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments following discussion with the post holder. The post holder will be expected to work to objectives agreed with the line manager.
- Recognised professional qualification Level 5 or above in a relevant field
A proven track record of 3 years or more experience within the last 5 years as an operations manager or equivalent. (Number of years’ experience may be increased should there be a need to facilitate manageable shortlists)
A recognised professional qualification Level 3 or above in a relevant field. A proven track record of 5 years or more experience within the last 7 years as an operations manager or equivalent. (Number of years’ experience may be increased should there be a need to facilitate manageable shortlists)
- Proven track record of achieving volume and/or quality targets in an outcome driven service delivery environment and ability to analyse data to determine trends and make accurate forecasts.
- Experience of building effective partnerships, networking and managing stakeholder relationships to build the projects reputation and image of the Training & Employment Services
- Strong communications skills, with the ability to motivate, drive and manage a busy office environment and staff.
- Experience of improving the quality of delivery of programmes to increase participation, retention and success rates and of managing and implementing quality improvement initiatives.
- Own vehicle and driving license
(Consideration will be given to candidates, who because of a disability, cannot hold a driving license but they must have access to a mode of transport that allows them to fulfil the duties of the post)
(Desirable criteria may be used to shortlist applicants, should there be a need to facilitate manageable shortlists)
- Proven management experience within an employment / training field.
- Knowledge of funded programmes such as European Social Funded programmes.
- Proven experience of working with Output Related Models of funding and understanding of managing within a target-driven environment.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of safeguarding arrangements and practices.
Proven experience of working closely with funders to ensure project compliance with procedures and able to demonstrate managing resources effectively.
- Sound knowledge of I.T and database systems and proven ability to produce and deliver financial, progress and monitoring reports on time and identify key recommendations at a strategic level.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills including effective prioritisation of tasks and ability to work to agreed aims and objectives.
- Ability to produce reports and analyse data in keeping with consortium and funder guidelines and Ability to communicate with a range of funders and other key agencies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Motivating others and excellent interpersonal skills
- Using own initiative and working positively within a team and building good working relationships.
- Being non-judgmental in approach to dealing with NEETs.
- Commitment to the development of people in the community.
- Sound knowledge of producing and submit tendering contracts.
- Proven experience of working in a community setting.
- Knowledge and experience of working with the unemployed and the barriers they face.
- An awareness of and sensitive to issues affecting the community.
- Sound knowledge of working with databases.
- Ability to work flexible hours (including evening work and weekend work).
- Willingness to undertake training required for the post.
- Subject to Access NI enhanced clearance.
Please be advised this job description is currently under review and may be subject to change.