Job title: Café Assistant
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Hours of work: Flexible hours – Saturday and/or Sunday
Remuneration: Age 23+ £9.70 per hour; Age 21-22 £9.30 per hour; Age 18-20 £7.00 per hour; Age 16-17 £5.00 per hour
Working at High Rise
Working at High Rise is busy, lively and active, and we expect high standards from our team so we can offer the very best customer service to our valued guests of all ages, backgrounds and abilities. In return we offer a competitive salary together with a wide range of benefits including generous staff discount, free uniform and parking, sociable hours and the opportunity for training, personal and professional development and career progression.
The Café Assistant will help towards the smooth running of the café. They will be responsible for ensuring the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene, both in working methods and personal hygiene, making sure that the food and equipment in the kitchen is always clean and in the right place. They will also help to prepare food ready for use and may be involved in some cooking.
Main responsibilities and duties include:
- Work as part of a team to ensure the smooth running of the café
- Take customer orders in the café
- Serve food and make and serve quality hot drinks
- Clean the café equipment, floors, fridges, coffee machine, and all work surfaces to ensure good hygiene as and when required
- Clear tables and café floor area as required
- Operate the till and handle cash in line with company procedures
- Restock the counter regularly
- Ensure that the food is cooked and stored in hygienic conditions
- Assist suppliers to unload deliveries, checking off incoming food deliveries, unpacking and storing food
- Ensure new stock and old stock are rotated and check use-by dates
- Advise management of low stock levels
- Operate the commercial dishwasher and glass-washing machine, loading and unloading when required.
- Hand wash kitchen utensils/pots/pans/dishes and storing appropriately
- Ensure that the café area is cleaned and sanitised at the end of every shift
- Collect and dispose of waste
- Follow all relevant hygiene, Health & Safety procedures/Safe Working Practice H.A.C.C.P. & C.O.S.H.H
- Carry out any other general cleaning duties as and when required
- Always comply with the organisation’s Security & Confidentiality policy, ensuring the highest levels of information security, data protection and confidentiality
- Undertake any other duties of a similar nature related to this post that may be required from time-to-time
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed depending upon operational requirements and staffing levels.
The Personnel Specification shows essential skills, abilities, knowledge and/or qualifications required to be able to carry out the duties of this post.
Previous relevant experience working within a busy restaurant/café environment
Good verbal and written communication skills
Excellent customer service skills
Reliable and flexible and able to keep calm under pressure
A positive attitude and able to take instruction
A high standard of personal hygiene and appearance
Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a team
Basic knowledge of Health & Safety including COSHH and HACCP
This post is subject to a basic criminal record disclosure check. This will be applied for through AccessNI.
You must be resident in the UK and eligible to work.
The job will remain open until the post has been filled.