Human Rights & Restrictive Practice
Association for Real Change NI
Cost: ARC Member £85 | Non-member £105
This course is aimed at middle and senior managers to explore the key issues from a human rights perspective and will highlight some of the key concepts, practice standards and present research relating to use of restrictive practices.
By the end of the course learners will:
- explore the Mental Capacity Act (Northern Ireland) 2016, specifically C4: additional safeguards: Deprivation of Liberty (DOLs)
- understand what is meant by restrictive practice
- understand the provisions of the human rights legislation and its impact on restrictive practice
- understand the context of restrictive practice in different service types ie supported
- living, residential care etc
- be able to articulate the reasons for eliminating/minimising restrictive practice
- practice manage the tensions between restrictive practice and risk management through case study
- practice and share ideas for alternative strategies to restrictive practice.