The Department of the Environment is seeking to appoint a chairperson and members to its Historic Buildings Council. The Council will consist of the chairperson and around 14 members who span a wide range of experience and expertise in architecture and an active interest in the preservation and conservation of historic buildings and their settings.
The Council specifically advises the Department on:
- the listing of buildings of special architectural or historic interest;
- the designation of Conservation Areas;
- the general state of preservation of listed buildings;
- such other matters relating to the preservation of buildings of special architectural or historic interest as may be referred to it;
- such other functions as may be conferred on it by any statutory provision;
- applications for exemption of listed buildings from Capital Transfer Tax; and
- the issue of certificates that buildings are not intended to be listed.
Terms of appointment are for three years, effective from 1 March 2013 and the closing date for applications is 12 noon Friday 9th November 2012. These appointments do not attract a salary, however, an allowance for travelling and subsistence expenses, in line with standard Civil Service rates, is payable, together with payment of incidental expenses, if any. The appointment process is based on the principles of merit, openness and transparency and the Department welcomes all applications regardless of age, gender, religion, disability, political opinion, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation and from persons with dependants and persons without.
Application forms and further information may be obtained from:
Department of the Environment
Finance and Business Planning Division
8th Floor Goodwood House
44-58 May Street
BELFAST BT1 4NN
Telephone: 028 9025 6069 or 028 9025 6023
Textphone: 028 9054 0642