Call for Expressions of Interest from Visual Artists for Creation, Fabrication and Installation of Site Specific Artwork.
Down Arts Centre is currently running a competition under the Winning Words programme to find a new poem for Down.
We are now inviting Expressions of Interest from artists to render the winning poem as a permanent installation in a public area within Down Arts Centre.
Winning Words is a national public art initiative that brings poetry into the public space, linking culture and sport through the Olympic and Paralympic values to inspire the nation to use poetry in innovative and surprising ways and places.
There is a total budget of £4,000 to cover the full cost of the production of the artwork ie. design, fabrication and installation.
About the Poetry Competition
- The competition is open to anyone from or currently resident in Down District
- Submissions are welcomed from people of all ages and abilities and from across the community.
- Poems must be the original work of the entrant and must not have been published, self-published, published on any website, or broadcast.
- Poems must be have a title and be no longer than 40 lines long, excluding the title
- Poems should take as their inspiration the 7 Olympic and Paralympic values of respect, excellence, friendship, courage, determination, inspiration and equality
- Poems should be written in English
- The winning poem will be interpreted by a visual artist as a permanent installation in a public area in Down Arts Centre,2-6 Irish Street, Downpatrick.
Method of Submission for Expressions of Interest for Creation of Site Specific Artwork:
- Please send a covering letter outlining your interest in rendering the winning poem as a permanent installation in Down Arts Centre, a current C.V. detailing relevant experience in collaborative working and installation work, and a short sample portfolio of recent, relevant work to:
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person at Down Arts Centre,2-6 Irish Street,Downpatrick,BT30 6BP
- By post to Down Arts Centre,2-6 Irish Street,Downpatrick,BT30 6BP
- 5pm on 24 August 2012: Deadline for receipt of Expressions of Interest
- 28 August 2012: Panel commission artist to complete project and provide them with the winning poem.
- September 2012: Fabrication and installation of artwork in Down Arts Centre
- 4 October 2012: Launch of artwork on National Poetry Day
- The panel of judges will be drawn from the organisations involved in the Downpatrick Winning Words project
- The judges’ decisions are final
- If you wish your supporting materials to be returned, please enclose a stamped addressed envelope.
Winning Words Website: www.winningwordspoetry.com