Job Description & Essential Criteria
Post: Youth and Children’s Worker
Duration: 1 year
Start Date: ASAP
Rate of Pay: £10.05 – 11.55 p/h dependent on qualifications and experience.
Hours: 20 per week – Mostly based in Carnlough with some time in Larne Methodist and some hours
flexible. This includes evening and weekend work.
Period of Notice: 1 month
Reports to: Line Manager and support group
Responsible for: Maintaining, motivating and training current volunteers.
Financial Responsibility:Administration of youth and children’s budget in consultation with line manager
Benefits: £15 mobile phone allowance, mileage allowance, 4 weeks leave plus Bank Holidays (pro rata)
Main Purpose of the Job
The main purpose of this job is to run the various existing aspects of youth and children’s work at Carnlough Methodist and the Youth Fellowship based in Larne Methodist.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- To teach the 8-12 year group in Carnlough Methodist Sunday School (10.30am Term Time).
- To lead the Youth Fellowship based in Larne Methodist Church Hall.
- To train and lead the team of volunteers associated with all aspects of the youth programmes.
- To run the Connect Youth Club for primary school children in Carnlough
- Work with other organisations in the area
- To develop new initiatives and programmes for the young people
- To organise special one off and monthly events for young people
- Ensure each session is planned with a suitable programme and volunteers.
- To support young people throughout the circuit.
- Normally attend the Sunday Morning service at Carnlough (9.30am)
- To encourage and recruit new members to all activities
- Complete record sheets on all contact sessions.
- Represent the youth of the area when necessary.
- Attend church staff meetings as required.
- Ensure the safety of young people at all stages by following child protection policy.
- Complete risk assessment forms for activities.
- To meet regularly with the line manager and assist in the development of the youth project.
- Undertake any other tasks deemed necessary for the successful completion of the post.
- Be a committed Christian (Genuine occupational requirement)
- Experience of working successfully with both young people and children.
- Self motivated.
- Good communication skills
- Full AccessNI background check and two suitable references required.
- Knowledge of child protection procedures
- Competent user of common software packages..
- Be willing to work within the ethos of the Methodist Church in Ireland
- Experience of working with groups.
- Experience of developing and delivering new programmes.
- Full Driving Licence and access to a suitable mode of personal transport.
- At least 1 year’s experience in a similar role
- Good at developing new and innovative ways to tackle issues
- Ability to work well as part of a team and individually.
- Ability to manage time well and prioritise.
- Ability to lead and manage volunteers.
- Qualifications in youth work or youth work related area.
- Previous experience of participation in public worship.
- Ability to play a musical instrument.
- Previous experience of drama or arts and crafts.
Please note that if the panel deem it necessary some or all of the desirable criteria will become essential criteria.