- Co-operate with the SDLP leadership, the Senior Management Team, colleagues, elected representatives and staff on all aspects of policy development and communication.
- Manage the new Campaigns Unit (comprising policy and press support staff), ensuring cohesive policy formulation, campaign planning and communication.
- Provide policy and PR support for SDLP MLAs, MPs and councillors.
- Co-ordinate Party policy motions, amendments, questions and Private Members’ Bills, as appropriate, in the Assembly, in Parliament and/or in local councils.
- Work with relevant spokespersons to develop and maintain effective and extensive policy research materials, including policy papers and election manifestos.
- Identify opportunities for policy development and communication through Party conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Lead on policy engagement with external stakeholders; including NGOs, social partners, statutory bodies, business groups, trade unions, churches and other organisations as appropriate.
- Ensure prompt response to all policy consultations.
- Prepare an annual policy development programme of work for submission to the Electoral Commission and an end-of-year audit on all work carried out.
- Develop and deliver an integrated media and public relations strategy for the Party.
- Lead on day-to-day press co-ordination on behalf of the Party, including on the drafting and issuing of press statements and speeches.
- Develop a media training programme for all SDLP elected representatives and prospective election candidates.
- Build strong media profiles for key Party figures, primarily senior elected representatives.
- Maximise and professionalise the Party’s social media presence at all levels.
- Ensure the Party has a strong professional working relationship with the print, broadcast and online media locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Provide coherent policy and political briefings to journalists.
- Ensure maintenance of an up-to-date media contacts database.
- Deliver professional media events, press conferences and photo opportunities on behalf of the Party.
- Build an effective internal communications strategy to ensure SDLP members are fully involved in policy formulation and informed of policy and political development.
- Ensure the Campaigns Unit works effectively with all other organs of the Party.
- Attend Party meetings, as required, to ensure information sharing, cohesive planning and team building.
- Undertake any other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required.
Head of Campaigns
Closing date:31 Mar 2017
• Build a dynamic policy platform; • Develop a coherent strategy for communicating this policy • Mobilise effective campaigns in the Assembly, Parliament, local councils and at grassroots level to help fulfil the SDLP’s political objectives
Added byGerry Cosgrove
on20 Mar 2017