Employability Outreach Practitioner / Mentor
Project Manager / Coordinator
Skainos Square, 239 Newtownards Road, Belfast
Hours of work:
37.5 per week
20 days plus 12 statutory day’s p.a.
National Employee Savings Trust (NEST) Pension Scheme
An employee health care plan is available after successful probation
This post is subject to a 6 month probationary period. The Company reserves the right to extend this probationary period.
Initially 6 month fixed contract – but potential extension to March 2018.
Closing date for applications NOON on Tuesday 21th March 2017
Please note change of criteria.
This post is part of the LEMIS+ project, a Belfast wide employment project implemented by a consortium of organisation led by Ashton Community Trust. The other partners are
- GEMS NI
- Upper Springfield Development Trust
- Impact Training
- Ashton Community Trust
The post will involve working at neighbourhood level in East Belfast to support the development of an employment service infrastructure to improve the potential of long-term unemployed, economically inactive and workless people to gain employment. They will undertake the necessary outreach work to identify and engage an appropriate number of potential clients to meet the agreed caseload and employment targets.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- To provide a structured programme of advice and support in career planning for long-term unemployed, economically inactive and workless people and those individuals and groups that experience the “benefit trap” including young people who are NEET (Not in Employment Education or Training) and vulnerable to becoming long term unemployed
- Undertake initial assessments of barriers and registrations completed with assessment using agreed and bespoke diagnostic tools. Develop and implement and individual action plans to overcome barriers to employment, outlining goals, actions and outcomes
- Deliver employability mentoring sessions with all participants as required to remove barriers to employment, providing a safe, relaxed environment underpinned by a structured and developmental process and responding to sensitive issues in a confidential manner.
- Effectively manage caseload and provide professional focused advice referring to other agencies/organisations as required as part of participant action plans.
- Undertake progress reviews and ensure targets are achieved that reflect positive outcomes in relation to employment and employment-related skills development.
- Establish and effectively maintain outreach provision of services across the area.
- To support specific training, education, employment and work experience opportunities of long-term unemployed, economically inactive and workless people which will help to promote their integration into the labour market;
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with relevant employer, statutory, community and voluntary organisations.
- Maintain accurate records of all engagements and work undertaken with participants and ensure the accuracy and completion of all administrative forms, reports etc. is provided in a timely manner.
- Review with line manager outcomes against performance targets and reflect on practice, working to the highest professional standards.
- Fully participate in self-evaluation reviews and quality improvement planning
- Participate in team meetings, supervision and other team activities
- Carry out all duties in accordance with the values and policies of East Belfast Mission and the Lemis+ consortium
- To perform such other relevant tasks deemed necessary by the management team of the project to ensure the effective and efficient implementation of the project action plan
- Undertake any other related responsibilities commensurate with the evolving objectives of the post and the evolution of EBM, as may reasonably be requested by the Manager or Director
- Work flexibly on evenings, weekends and during school holidays to ensure full delivery of the programme.
- Undertake training in order to develop work related skills and knowledge.
- Undertake any other related responsibilities commensurate with the evolving objectives of the post and the growth of EBM, as may reasonably be requested by the Manager.
- Work with due regard for EBM’s core values and objectives
- Ensure the effective implementation of and adherence to, the EBM’s policies and procedures
Personal and professional development
- Participate in EBM’s Performance Management and Appraisal process, and agree short, medium and long term goals with line manager, and direct line staff.
- Identify learning and development needs with line manager and evaluate T&D to demonstrate needs have been met.
- Share best practice and achievements, and contribute at opportunities to present outcomes and case studies.
- Contribute to the learning of others across the organisation by sharing knowledge and skills both informally and formally by participating in EBM’s training and development programme.
- Actively comply with all EBM policies and procedures.
In addition to the tasks and duties outlined above, the post holder will be required to undertake any duties which are identified as being generally compatible to the post.
Status of the Job Description
This job description is not incorporated into the employee’s employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification and it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments following discussion with the post holder. The post holder will be expected to work to objectives agreed with the line manager.
Note to Applicant: When completing your application form you should demonstrate/evidence the extent to which you have the necessary education, experience, knowledge and skills identified as required by the application criteria for the post.
Important: Applications must be completed using computer and not in hand writing. Any handwriting applications will not be considered for short listing
This list is not exhaustive and should be read in conjunction with workplace rules and procedures
- At least two year’s proven competence in providing career/employability mentoring in both a one-to-one and in a group setting. (Number of years experience may be increased should there be a need to facilitate manageable shortlists)
- Demonstrable experience in working at neighbourhood level with long-term unemployed, economically inactive and workless people and those who experience labour market disadvantage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to create and sustain effective working relationships and build consensus with key stakeholders
- Ability using own initiative, to make effective decisions, plan and prioritise a substantial workload
- Understanding of government welfare to work programmes
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Internet Explorer)
- Ability in working positively within a team
- Ability to work flexible hours
(Desirable criteria may used to shortlist applicants, should there be a need to facilitate manageable shortlists)
- Professional qualification directly related to employability ( e.g. NVQ level 3 Advice and Guidance)
- Experience of working with young people Not in Employment Education or Training (NEET)
- Qualification in benefits / welfare rights (Law centre training WRAP or equivalent)
- Knowledge of funded programmes such as European Social Funded programmes.
- Car driver and have access to transport appropriate to the post. This criteria will be waived if disability prohibits and the post holder can demonstrate the effectiveness of alternative transport arrangements.
Appointment to this post is subject to successful applicant declaring all pending prosecutions, convictions, cautions and bind-over orders and their name will be submitted to Access NI for a check to be carried out.
Appointment is also subject to the return of complete and satisfactory references obtained from previous and or present employers
This Role Profile is an accurate reflection of the job as at the time of review. As with any position, the role may be subject to change to meet the needs of the post. All prospective changes will be discussed with the post-holder as part of the organisation’s performance management arrangements.