BCDA was established in 1974, and in the years since then the Association’s work has focused on our role as a multi-purpose organisation, operating a resource centre and acting as a catalyst for the creation and delivery of social actions to tackle disadvantage and address those issues which impact on development and quality of life matters for vulnerable individuals and groups.
Our vision is of a vibrant neighbourhood with a generous spirit, supported by a dynamic community association which acts as a catalyst for change and development.
- commitment to the people and communities we work with
- acceptance and celebration of difference
- honesty and integrity in our work and practice
- creative expression and experimentation
- independence of thought and action
All BCDA’s work is underpinned by our ethos which strives to be
- enabling by - sharing knowledge and skill to enable people and groups to articulate their needs and to stimulate action to address them;
- empowering by – advancing the needs and solutions which people have identified for themselves;
- supportive by – promoting teamwork and shared responsibility as well as encouraging individual creativity;
- outward-looking by – encouraging an open and progressive perspective on life, communities and cultures and endeavouring to share our approach and develop links with other organisations in Northern Ireland and overseas.
BCDA Statement of Purpose
BCDA works to sustain, support and celebrate mixed communities and neighbourhoods within Ballynafeigh and elsewhere by:
- acting as champion/advocate for mixed communities;
- developing and sharing models of good practice;
- building Bcda as a successful independent resource;
- offering programmes which respond to community need and create a positive area for all to live in.